Victoria Park Harriers and Tower Hamlets Athletics Club
Friendly east London club for athletes of all abilities
The club has been planning refurbishment for several years and has recently been awarded three grants that will enable phases 1 and 2 of the refurbishment plans to happen. This follows a feasibility study on improving accessibility to the clubhouse and its facilities, which was funded by a £3,000 grant from the City Bridge Trust in 2010. The works focus on the main hall and the changing rooms, with phase 3 being the refurbishment of the bar, the current gym and the committee room. Note that funding has not yet been secured for phase 3.
Phase 1 and 2 Works
Detailed drawings of the refurbishment works are available in PDF format here.
- The Gym: To relocate the gym from its existing first floor location, accessible by stairs only and isolated from the cardio-vascular equipment, into the space currently occupied by the female changing rooms at the north end of the hall. This will provide a dedicated accessible weights/strength and conditioning room alongside the cardio-vascular training equipment (treadmills, cross trainers, bikes, rowers).
- The Hall: Remove the stage to provide level access and make more effective use of the total hall area for the gym equipment, health and fitness groups who hire the hall, gym based activities, circuit training, race and training assembly and organisation, social and other community activities and uses.
- Changing Facilities: Provision of a totally new female changing and showering area. Alterations and improved access into the existing male changing area to include an extra WC and boiler. Addition of a further unisex disabled changing facility with WC and shower. All changing rooms provided with new central heating.
- External works: Improvements to access, particularly for those with disabilities, from both Cadogan Terrace and directly from Victoria Park.
- Members Room/Bar: Central heating added.
- £50,000 from the City Bridge Trust awarded in March 2012 towards the costs of providing disabled access.
- £50,000 from the London Marathon Trust awarded in December 2011 for improved accessibility and refurbishment work.
- £50,000 Biffa Award provisionally awarded in August 2012 for general refurbishment works. This is being finalised at the moment, but we hope to have it confirmed imminently.
- £30,000 from club reserves has been allocated to ensure that phase 1 and 2 are completed in full.
A works budget for phases 1 and 2 is available here.